Oral Cancer Screening
Ask Metro Dentalcare Blaine Pheasant Ridge if our services are right for youMake an Appointment
Did you know that oral cancer is the sixth deadliest cancer in the world with roughly 30,000 new cases diagnosed each year? It’s a growing problem among people 40 years of age and older, especially among smokers, smokeless tobacco users, and those who regularly drink alcohol. When detected and treated early, oral cancer is 83% curable.
Early detection of abnormalities that develop in the tissues of your lips, mouth, and throat is essential in preventing possibly severe health issues from developing, such as oral cancer and other oral diseases.
Factors That Can Increase the Risk of Oral Cancer
- Tobacco use of any kind, including cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chewing tobacco, and snuff, among others
- Heavy alcohol use
- Previous oral cancer diagnosis
- History of significant sun exposure, which increases the risk of lip cancer
Oral cancer appears as a growth or sore in the mouth that does not go away. Oral cancer, which includes cancers of the lips, tongue, cheeks, floor of the mouth, hard and soft palate, sinuses and pharynx (throat), can be life-threatening if not diagnosed and treated early.
The Most Common Symptoms of Oral Cancer
- Swellings/thickenings, lumps or bumps, rough spots/crusts/or eroded areas on the lips, gums, or other areas inside the mouth
- The development of white, red or speckled (white and red) patches in the mouth
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Unexplained numbness, loss of feeling, or pain/tenderness in any area of the face, mouth or neck
- Persistent sores on the face, neck, or mouth that bleed easily and do not heal within two weeks
- A soreness or feeling that something is caught in the back of the throat
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
- Hoarseness, chronic sore throat or change in voice
- Ear pain
- A change in the way your teeth or dentures fit together
- Dramatic weight loss
How is an Oral Cancer Screening Done?
During your regular exam, your dentist will ask you about changes in your medical history and whether you’ve been having any new or unusual symptoms. Then, your dentist will check your oral cavity. This includes your lips, cheek lining, gums, the front part of your tongue, the floor of your mouth and the roof of your mouth. Your dentist will also examine your throat (pharynx) at the soft part at the roof of your mouth, including your tonsils, the back section of your tongue and where your tongue attaches to the bottom of your mouth. The dentist will then feel your jaw and neck for any lumps or abnormalities.
Early detection may result in better treatment outcomes. To schedule an oral cancer screening in Blaine, call Metro Dentalcare Blaine Pheasant Ridge at 763-225-6100 today.